What a year we have had!
From events all over the country, to sharing the stories of incredible women from across Scotland, 2019 has been one of the best!
1. We met so many wonderful Scottish women at the second No.1 Amazing Women Awards at the Old Fruitmarket in Glasgow. Those excelling in sport, the strong women, young women and those making their communities better places – we celebrated them all and more!
And the awards are back for 2020! We cannot wait to meet more of Scotland’s most inspiring women. You can get tickets to join us on the night by clicking here.
2. Our FIRST EVER gin tasting took place in Edinburgh on the hottest day of the year. Together with Darnley’s Gin we sipped on refreshing gins with luxury tonic by Franklin & Sons at the InterContinental Edinburgh The George.
3. We travelled all across Scotland to bring you 67 events for Scotland’s Social Scene. From fundraisers to restaurant launches, we loved snapping you!
4. After women across the country told our body positivity survey that 39% of them have negative feelings about their body every day and 91% saying social media puts pressure on them to look a certain way, we launched our body positivity campaign #WorthSoMuchMore.
Readers, influencers and famous faces shared their #WorthSoMuchMore stories and helped spread the body positive message.
View this post on Instagram
Honoured to be part of @no1magazine #WorthSoMuchMore Campaign. I love my fake nails, lashes, hair extensions but I’m worth so much more than all of that. I truly feel My authentic self when I’m wearing my naturally curly hair with no make up at home in my onesie with my boys. #naturalhair #blackhairmagic #issue200 #no1magazine #women #sisterhood #knowyourworth #beyourauthenticself
View this post on Instagram
Since having my children I am my most body confident. I have stretch marks, flabby skin and huge eye bags but I’ve totally made my peace with that and this is me, and I love me. However there is a part of me that I am not so confident with and that is my breasts. As far back as I can remember, they have been different sizes. And not just a wee bit. Throughout school I stuffed one side, I’ve always worn padded bras and I’ve never a backless dress. I hoped so badly that when I became pregnant they would even out. They didn’t. When I was breastfeeding and then stopped I hoped they would even out. They didn’t. So that’s that. I think it’s time I accept that this is me, and love every bit of me, even the bits I’m still not best pals with. Hi I’m Suzy and I have lopsided baps 😂 what’s your super power 💕 . . . Light box gifted from @no1magazine . #worthsomuchmore #bodyconfident #bodypositive #bodypositivity #bopo #confidenceiskey #loveyourself #wobblybitsandall #positiveoutlook #thisisme #nowmagazine #scottishmama #mumoftwo #mumofgirls #empowerothers #strongewoman #supporteachother #socialmediaisnotreallife #dontcompareyourself #beyou
5. The Oor Wullie Bucket Trail took over Scotland with over 200 statues appearing in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Inverness and Aberdeen – including No.1‘s very own one!
Designed by Yvonne Stewart, Oor Sleeping Dragon sat outside Dynamic Earth at the base of Arthur’s Seat and was a hugely popular selfie spot!
6. We brought awareness to an important health issue affecting women in Scotland.
7. We held a summer party in an Edinburgh penthouse and our guests brought their fashion a-game!
Held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh City Centre, guests sipped fizz, took to the catwalk for the chance to be crowned best dressed and took part in games to win some incredible prizes!
8. From the most northerly tip of the Isle of Lewis to the Scottish borders, we travelled the length of the country to bring you stories of real inspiring Scottish women including adventurer Myrtle Simpson and Marine Mammal Rescuer Stacey Esson.
9. We tried our the best of Scotland’s hotels and restaurants including Stobo Castle in the Scottish Borders, Island paradise Auchrannie Resort and Dunkeld House in Perthshire, and brought you reviews of exactly where you should be visiting now. It’s a tough gig, but someone has to do it.
Now just wait until you see what’s coming in 2020…
Happy New Year from the No.1 team!