Are you on the hunt for something to do this October break? While the school holiday generally runs from 11th to 21st October (exclusive), the dates can slightly vary across Scotland. However, we’ve rounded up fun activities no matter where you are…
October Break Scotland
1. Step aboard The Royal Yacht Britannia this October and follow in the footsteps of Royalty.
There’s something for the whole family on board as audio guides are available in both adult and children’s versions. Plus, for the first time ever visitors will also be able to visit the Royal Brow for a photograph – the entrance that was reserved specifically for the Royal Family!
The Royal Yacht Britannia, Ocean Drive, Leith EH6. Prices start from £8.75.
2. If your little ones are fans of superheroes, then this is the event for you! Running on 12th and 13th October, Comic Con Scotland will feature fan favourites, such as a dedicated Harry Potter zone, and also give you the chance to meet crime fighting heroes like The Incredible Hulk.
Open to all ages and prices starting from £6, this is one not to miss.
Comic Con Scotland, Royal Highland Centre, Ingliston, Newbridge, Edinburgh
3. Start the October break off right and head to Light Up The Forest in Aberfoyle for a truly magical night.
On the 12th October, the woods will be illuminated with colourful lights and a storyteller will be there to tell woodland folklore tales by the campfire. Just remember to wrap up warm!
Light Up The Forest, The Lodge Forest Visitor Centre Duke’s Pass, Aberfoyle. Prices start from £5 and the show begins at 6.30pm.
4. Join in the nationwide fun and help to find Wally (from Where’s Wally?) in this exciting hunt from 12th October to 3rd November.
Taking place at Glasgow’s Riverside Museum, your little ones can search for Wally amongst the museum’s amazing artefacts and exciting exhibitions. All they have to do is pick up an activity sheet and follow the trail!
This event is free and taking place at Riverside Museum, 100 Pointhouse Place, Glasgow.
5. Get in the spirit of Halloween this half term at Soar at intu Braehead!
This free event begins this Friday (11th October) until the 20th from 11am to 5pm and have a whole range of halloween themed activities. From colouring sheets to posing for photos on their spooky selfie mirror, there is something for the whole family to enjoy.
6. Back for another year, Illuminight in partnership with Lidl transforms woodland trails and water features with its spectacular light and sound show.
This year’s event presents an exciting ‘Space’ theme and will encourage visitors to discover all about alien worlds and the solar system, plus lots of interactive installations!
Illuminight, Dean Castle Country Park, Kilmarnock. The event is running from 23rd October to 17th November and ticket prices start from £6.50.
7. Fancy getting up close with some of Scotland’s most fascinating wildlife animals? Then why not embark on a Land Rover Safari this October break!
Head off the beaten track and discover all about Scottish history, geology and wildlife – the perfect activity for the adventurer in your life.
Land Rover Safaris will run on 15th, 22nd and 29th October with prices starting from £25.