The period of eating and making merry is not quite over and we are still looking forward to welcoming 2019 with a New Year steak pie! Lidl have teamed up with Perthshire chef from the gorgeous Mhor Collection, Tom Lewis, to bring you a recipe everyone will love using Lidl’s craft beer, Bright Lights American IPA.
- 1kg Strathvale Farm Scotch Beef Lean Diced Steak
- One bottle of Heatherwood Bright Lights American IPA
- 4 sticks celery, diced 5mm
- 2 large carrots, diced 5mm
- 1 leek, diced 5mm
- 1 large onions, diced 5mm
- 3 cloves of garlic sliced
- Meat stock
- Few sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp seasoned flour
- Good pinch of cumin and coriander
- Puff pastry block
- Beaten egg
For the Pie Mix
Ideally make the filling a couple of days ahead
- Put diced beef into bowl and give it a light coating of seasoned flour.
- In a hot pan seal and colour the beef then take out and put in a dish.
- Add all diced vegetables and sliced garlic to the hot pan. Add a good glug of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter. Turn the heat down and sweat vegetables off.
- Add a good pinch of cumin, coriander, thyme and the bay leaves, then add the meat back to the pan.
- Add equal parts beer and meat stock – add enough liquid so that all meat and vegetables are covered.
- Put a lid on the pan, reduce the heat down, and simmer until meat is tender (roughly 1 hour 40 minutes). Alternatively, pop in a covered oven dish at 160°C, and simmer for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- If the gravy is still feeling a little thin, drain into a pan and reduce it. If need be, you can thicken it slightly with a mixture of soft butter and flour. Add a little at a time and whisk through.
- Let the mix cool, cover and refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
Assembly and Cooking
- Wash a pie dish with a beaten egg.
- Put the mix into a pie dish and bring it to room temperature.
- Take out your pastry and score it very lightly with a knife.
- Place the pastry across the pie dish, crimp the edges and egg wash the top.
- Bake in a medium to hot oven (210°C degrees) until the pastry is crisp and heated right though.
- Serve hot with vegetables and tatties for the perfect family feast!