As BBC One’s The Bodyguard gripped the nation, with not only its incredible story line but also its star-studded cast, No.1 have rounded up facts that every Richard Madden fan should know… especially since he’s been crowned Best Actor at the 2019 Golden Globe awards!
Originally known as Game of Thrones‘ Robb Stark, Richard Madden has now graced our screens as Prince Charming in Cinderella and also David Budd in The Bodyguard. But how much do you really know about the Scottish star?
30 Must-Know Facts About Richard Madden
1. Richard Madden is 5 feet 11 inches tall.
2. And was born on the 18th June 1986.
3. Which, astrology fans will be keen to know, makes him a Gemini.
4. Scottish born and bred, Richard first lived in Elderslie in Renfrewshire.
5. His dad was a former Senior Fire Officer while his mum was a Teaching Assistant.
6. The reason Richard actually got into acting was to combat his “crippling shyness.” In fact, he once described his childhood self as “a nervous kid and not great socially”.
7. He then went onto study at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama (RSAMD) in Glasgow.
8. The star first made his big screen debut in the 2000 film Complicity.
9. And is now thought to be worth a staggering… $6 million!
10. But he still remains true as ever to his roots as Richard’s uncle revealed to The Sun that the star’s young niece Eilidh is Richard’s “biggest fan” and she “follows him everywhere.”
11. In 2009 Madden won the Scottish Style Award for Most Stylish Male.
12. He was also named one of Scotland’s “most eligible men” by The Scotsman newspaper in 2010.
13. Despite this however, Richard revealed he’s been asked to alter his appearance over the years. He told Mr Porter magazine: “I’ve done loads of jobs where I’ve been asked, or told, I need to lose weight — or I need to be in the gym every day.”
14. Now the actor admits he hopes to ditch his newfound reputation as a sex symbol. The 32-year-old told the Daily Star: “I worry about it affecting my job. If people go, ‘Oh, you know, he’s that hunky thing’, that undermines that actually I am an actor.”
16. To play his Game of Thrones character, Robb Stark, the actor had to learn how to ride a horse.
17. And would train around three to four times a week in order to feel confident enough when on set during season one.
18. Richard actually had no idea that his character would die. He didn’t find out reading the books, but accidentally when he was googling the character!
19. After doing their scenes, Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) and Richard used to have sword fights on the set because they were excited to get to play with weapons.
20. And, in an interview with The Sunday Times, the actor admitted: “People think I am [rich], because of Game of Thrones, but you know, when I signed up for that I was 22, with f*** all on my CV, so I was paid f*** all.”
22. But has also admitted he’d love to play a villain at some point in his acting career, and has told fans to “watch this space”.
23. Richard has been cast in Rocketman, the upcoming film about Elton John’s early career. The star will play the singer’s manager and former lover, John Reid.
24. The actor has also branched out from on-screen acting to theatre. Many fans may remember him starring in a Globe Theatre production of Romeo and Juliet in London and on a British tour, while still a student at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
25. However, he says Bodyguard will always have a special place in his heart and told The Guardian, “every moment working with Keeley [Keeley Hawes who played Julia Montague in Bodyguard] was a joy.”
26. He dated English actress Jenna Coleman. but now has been dating English actress Ellie Bamber.
27. Richard claims his favourite movies are Jurassic Park and Betty Blue.
28. But his all-time favourite Disney movie is Inside Out – and has even admitted crying while watching it!
29. And, as well as starring in it, the star revealed he would watch Cinderella all the time as a child. He told NOW: “I had two sisters so they’d make me watch these sort of films all the time but I loved them!’
30. One of Richard’s favourite hobbies is running. Although suffering an ankle injury a couple of years ago, he has now reassured fans he is back to “doing what he loves” and is “back on his feet” by running half marathons.