With wedding/race/graduation season in full swing, the No.1 team are on a quest for the perfect sunkissed look without the skin damage. We chatted to the tanning queens at St Tropez about their amazing new collection and to get their top fake tan tips and expert tricks to ensure a flawless golden glow – whatever the weather!
The Ultimate Fake Tan Tips
Before You Tan…
- Always remember that preparation is key if you want to get the most out of your tan so make sure you get your canvas looking flawless before you start. For the week before you apply your tan, use a body scrub and exfoliate to get rid of any dry patches of skin and ensure an even finish.
- If you’re waxing or shaving, make sure you do it at least 24 hours before you apply your tan to reduce sensitivity.
- Before you tan, moisturise any dry areas with an oil free body moisturiser. Also use some moisturiser to blend the wrist area for a seamless finish. Note that you shouldn’t moisturise all over directly pre-tan – only apply moisturiser to your dry areas such as knees and elbows.
- Before you get cracking with the application, one of the essential fake tan tips is to ensure that the skin is clean and free of any make-up, deodorant or any other product that might impact on the final result.
- Splash your face with cold water before you apply self-tan, this will close your pores and stop them from clogging with your product.
- Avoid any streaks by using a tan applicator mitt.
Apply one coat of self-tan to the entire body. Then apply a second coat to inner thighs, under your calves, under your jawline and your torso to give the illusion of a more contoured and shaded body.
After You Tan…
- Wipe your nails to avoid the tan staining them.
- Once your tan has fully developed, moisture daily with an oil free moisturiser to keep the skin hydrated.
The Tanning Traps to Avoid
- Don’t get your tan wet while it is developing. Different kinds of tan take different lengths of time to develop so ensure that you read the directions carefully before you start applying!
- Don’t wear fitted clothing. While your tan is developing stick to loose fitting clothes in darker colours.
- After your tan has developed, exfoliate gently every 2-3 days to avoid going patchy and ensure an even fade.